Saturday 8 October 2011

Sexist jokes

Normally I'm the first to support inappropriate jokes. Within certain limits. In fact, one limit. More of a condition: they have to be fucking FUNNY.

I have heard sexist jokes that have made me laugh, just like I've heard other awful, damning jokes that have cracked me up. What gets to me is that most sexist jokes have descended to more of a put down: something along the lines of 'get back in the kitchen' or 'make me a sandwich'. 

With a high enough level of repetition, anything stops being funny. Except Galaxy Quest. I strongly advise you to watch that movie. But the kitchen/sandwich joke? Yeah, it was never funny. 

What's even weirder is that people feel completely comfortable making jokes like this in public, in perfect earshot of absolutely anyone, and in front of people they barely know. This suggests a totally relaxed attitude to sexism, and people very rarely get called out for making this kind of joke. Why not? If you think about it, it's just as bad as making a stupid racist comment. 

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION, if I walked up to a black dude and told him to 'get back in the field' everyone would freak out. I know I would, if I was somehow there to see myself say this. I would without a doubt punch myself in the face, and so would some other people. If my self that was watching punched my hypothetical racist self, would my self that was watching feel it?

That descended inexplicably quickly in to the time travel paradox, but the point stands. It's as bad to tell a woman to 'get back in the kitchen' as it is to make that ignorant racist crack. People have just convinced themselves that it's fine, and sexism is not something we should take as seriously as other types of discrimination. 

Once again, I'm not saying jokes like this can't be funny. (See the episode of Futurama where they get trapped on the planet of giant women: 'We no can dunk, but good fundamentals.' 'That more fun to watch.' That shit was hilarious). But stupid comments that have absolutely no point or merit of any kind need to be seen for what they are: sexist.

No comments:

Post a Comment